Sometimes, online games require giving everything, whether a player is on no deposit or free spins online gambling sites for Australia, or any other place in the world. Because important features such as bonuses or promotions have been made available doesn’t mean that there isn’t an amount of work to put in – defensive or offensive.
For instance, during poker games, players don’t just sit and develop strategies that they think would help make them to win. Most times, it requires making bluffs that will help in winning more money and make a player look tough against an opponent.
Bluffs are expected to be made promptly – pick the best time to strike. However, some unexpected bluff techniques in poker help in many situations and are about to be discussed below – but first, let’s learn how to bluff.
How to Bluff In Poker
Bluffing is important for anyone who wishes to be a good poker player. In poker, there are two players: the Nit and the Maniac.
The Nit is a smooth player and only bets when there is a good hand. The player is always easy to play against because they can be decoded from their aggression. On the other hand, the Maniac is a strong player and is known to show aggression and bluff too much.
Now, a player can decide to be both of them just with the perfect bluffing technique – it is an art since it often requires transcending from the Nit to the Maniac and vice-versa.
Bluffing means being an aggressive player but doesn’t mean showing blind aggression. Players have to be careful about their next course of action. And to do that, it is important to consider factors such as:
- Dynamics: Every player needs to set the perfect dynamics, i.e. chips, position, stacks, at a table to bluff properly. They often determine the level or frequency of bluff.
- Stakes: Becoming an aggressive player means being ready to risk it all but wisely. It is never easy to bluff with micro stakes, but a player can start somewhere and continue requiring more balance to level up.
- The number of players in a hand: Ideally, the number of players in a hand determines whether to bluff or not. If there are more, then there should be less bluffing, and vice-versa.
- Bluff more or less depending on image: Some players are obvious bluffers, giving them away instantly. Players who have been caught bluffing a lot should do that less.
- Observe an opponent: Opponents that call every time are red flags. Players shouldn’t bluff when they notice these calls frequently. However, those that overfold can be taken advantage of.
- Identify scan: Everything should be a clue when playing poker. Players should take some time to identify certain things that could be used to tell what their opponent has, to decide whether to bluff or not.
- Hide tells: As a player focuses on identifying the poker tells of an opponent, such a person also needs to hide theirs. It will increase the chances of making successful bluffs.
- Type of game: Bluffing also depends on the type of game – low or deep stack cash. Players might have to utilise different bluff techniques to get through their games if the situation is the latter.
- Bankrolling: A player knowing when there is a good bankroll might find it easier to bluff – but making sure it is timely.
The Common Bluff Techniques in Poker
Talking about making a well-timed bluff, it is important to know the common techniques in poker. Most of them are unexpected because there is so much consideration to some factors leading to a particular response. The techniques include:
Lower Risk and Lower Payoff Bluff
It is one of the quickest bluffs in poker. The Lower Risk and Lower Payoff bluff is often considered when there are small stakes or medium-sized pots. It is also an option when an opponent isn’t so concerned about winning the game. It involves raising bets and asking every other player at the table to fold. However, the Lower Risk and Lower Payoff bluff should be a one-time thing.
Take the Risk at the River Bluff
It is also another quick bluff in poker games. It mostly involves forcing other players to decide the River, i.e., the end of a game. A player could force opponents to fold or proceed to a showdown. However, the Take the Risk at the River bluff is a big gamble – a player could lose everything. Therefore, preparing to lose should be on the table.
Semi-Bluff to Increase Odds
When a player has a good hand with the potential to be better right after a turn or flop, it is called Semi-Bluffing. It is also considered a type of bluff. The goal of this technique isn’t to win with the cards in hand. Instead, it is to force other players to fold. It is one of the best poker strategies because it increases winning odds.
The last technique is the Pure or Stone Cold bluff. It is very effective at the end of a game when nothing is left in hand. At this point, the only thing a player can rely on is folding or bluffing. Here, a player places a bet and hopes such a person folds by bluffing excessively. This technique is only advised as a last resort.
There are some effective tips for a player to make good bluffs. They include:
- A player should always take time to hand-read opponents carefully but intelligently.
- A player should be careful of how they select and re-select bluffs – mostly depending on the street.
- A player should never show weakness because it is an easy “Tell” for an opponent.
- A player should always exploit first but make a sound balance – a strategy proven effective over time.
- A player should be decisive when choosing bluffing bet sizes.
How to Spot a Poker Bluff
To be successful with a Poker Tell, it is also important for players to be able to spot an opponent’s poker bluff. The following factors may help right with that:
- Eye movements
- Behaviour – tensed or relaxed; nervous or excited
- Betting pattern
What the Best Poker Bluff Is
The best poker bluff is any strategy that allows an opponent to fold. It could be any of the following: Lower Risk and Lower Payoff bluffing, Semi-bluffing, River Risk bluffing, or Stone-cold bluffing. And a player doesn’t become good overnight; it takes lots of practice and improvement on skills.
Looking at the most unexpected bluff techniques in poker, there is indeed a list of them. Bluffing is consequential in poker games because players need to do everything possible to win. And depending on the type of opponent, such a player needs to consider some tips that might help. Likewise, a player who wants to become good at the game should learn any of the four techniques described above. Lastly, making bluffs is all about doing it at the right time – whether you’re playing poker online or at a physical casino.
Gerald Ainomugisha is a freelance Content Solutions Provider (CSP) offering both content and copy writing services for businesses of all kinds, especially in the niches of management, marketing and technology.