Registration is now open for SPIE Photonics West 2023. The largest annual conference and exhibition in optics and photonics, hosted by SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, is scheduled to take place 28 January to 2 February, 2023 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, bringing together researchers, innovators, engineers, and business leaders from across the globe for a dynamic and engaging week of networking and learning.
What are the topics of Photonics West program?
Overall, this year’s Photonics West program includes over 4,500 presentations. The program will showcase the latest tech using optics and photonics, with four major application topics:
- BiOS, highlighting new research in biophotonics, biomedical optics, and imaging
- LASE, with its focus on the laser industry and applications
- OPTO, covering optoelectronics, photonic materials, and optical devices
- Quantum West, celebrating its second year, featuring technical conferences, a quantum-specific plenary session, as well as presentations from industry leaders who are focused on moving quantum technologies to market
Featuring over 1,000 companies with product launches, live demonstrations, and tech, the BiOS Expo and Photonics West Exhibition showcase the healthy photonics industry. The BiOS Expo — featuring the latest tech in biomedical optics and healthcare apps — runs 28-29 January; the Photonics West Exhibition, 31 Jan to 2 Feb, showcases the latest in optics and photonics devices, components, systems, and services. Both exhibitions are free to attend.
What is expected of SPIE’s Photonics West program?
Photonics West will also offer over 50 technical courses including Design Techniques and Applications Fields for Digital Micro-optics and Optical Tech and Architectures for VR/AR/MR Head-mounted Displays taught by 2023 SPIE’s Bernard Kress; a course taught by Andreas Georgiou Waveguides for Mixed Reality: Principles and Apps; and two courses on quantum.
Included with full conference registration for Photonics West is access to the three-day SPIE AR | VR | MR event, which focuses on augmented, virtual, and mixed reality and the vital role that optics and photonics play in cross-reality (XR) hardware development. This program incorporates over 30 industry talks and panels; two-day exhibition; and XR-specific job fair.
All these components feature leading and upcoming consumer electronics companies; invited speakers will represent a comprehensive range of organizations, including Avegant, Lynx, NewSight Reality, Mojo Vision, Schott, Magic Leap, Metalenz, and Sunny Optical.
Who are the event headline speakers?
From the SPIE BiOS Hot Topics, to the Prism Awards and the SPIE Startup Challenge, the event-filled week will showcase the latest technologies and industry developments across the optics and photonics spectrum. Confirmed Hot Topics and plenary speakers include;
- Aydogan Ozcan, University of California, Los Angeles
- Mark A. Anastasio, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Maryellen Giger, University of Chicago
- Natan T. Shaked, Tel Aviv University
- Chen Yang, Boston University
- Vasilis Ntziachristos, Technical University of Munich
- Srirang Manohar, University of Twente
- Caroline Boudoux, Polytechnique Montréal
- Jin U. Kang, Johns Hopkins University
- Kirill Larin, University of Houston
- YongKeun Park, KAIST
- Eric Henderson, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
- Rajeev J. Ram, MIT
- Emily Warren, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Nicolas Grandjean, EPFL
- Arnan Mitchell, RMIT University
- Eliana Fu, TRUMPF North America
- Jason Eichenholz, Luminar Technologies
- Jürgen Stuhler, TOPTICA Photonics.
What were the executive’s thoughts on the event?
“We are excited to again be hosting Photonics West in person, kicking off the year for the photonics community,” said SPIE Senior Director of Technical Programs Marilyn Gorsuch.
“Since our successful return to San Francisco last year, we’ve heard from our community about the importance and value of reconnecting and having face-to-face conversations. Photonics West 2023 promises to be another engaging and thought-provoking week with many networking opportunities planned to complement the strong technical program.”
“This year we will also offer an expanded Quantum West program and a new focus on artificial intelligence and machine learning for biomedical applications. Don’t miss this opportunity to join your colleagues from around the world, engage with more than 1,000 photonics companies, and hear the latest research results that drive innovation.”
For more information and to register, please visit our website.