One lockdown habit here to stay is dog owners spending more time with their pups. Aussies have grown fond of having their canine companions by their side, for staycations up the coast, Friday nights at dog friendly pubs or trips into the office to ease separation anxiety.
How close are Aussies and their pets?
Since we launched Uber Pet in 2020, allowing riders to match with a driver-partner willing to transport their fur friend too, we’ve seen a 79% increase in pet owners travelling around the country. We’ve seen a 97% increase in riders commuting to and from work with pets.
Consumer research also tells us that 85% Australian dog owners said they would go into the office more if they could take their pets, with studies showing people who take their dog to work have higher levels of job satisfaction and lower levels of stress on average.
7 in 10 Aussie pet owners admit that they work from home more because they’re concerned about leaving their dog alone at home. 59% say a key barrier that prevents them from taking their pet into the office or workplace boils down to the commute there, with the same amount claiming they would go in more if they could take their dog on public transport.
Other interesting findings from the survey include:
- 40% got their dog during lockdown and they have separation anxiety
- 3 in 5 would be more inclined to accept a job offer if their workplace was dog friendly
- 71% believe their office/workplace is under-utilised post Covid-19
How can Uber help with this undying bond?
That’s why, as Aussies embrace hybrid working, we want to help their fur babies too, by encouraging riders to take their pets into the office, on National Take Your Dog To Work Day.
While it’s not possible to take companion animals on all forms of public transport, Uber Pet has got you covered. We’re offering 50% off all Uber Pet trips (up to $30 off) between 7am – 7pm AEST on Friday 24th June in cities where Uber Pet is available. If you’re a pawrent keen to travel with your dog during this timeframe, follow these steps to redeem the offer:
- Head to the Uber app and click on your Account in the bottom right
- Select ‘Wallet’ then scroll down and hit ‘Add promo code.’
- Add in the code FURBABY
- Order your Uber Pet trip between 7am – 7pm AEST on Friday 24th June, and receive 50% off the value of your trip fare! Max $30 off applies. See T&Cs below
How does Uber Pet work?
- Uber Pet is available in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle, Hobart, Cairns, Sunshine Coast, Geelong, Wollongong and Darwin.
- Uber Pet provides driver- partners who stay opted in, another opportunity to earn more via providing this service. The trip will attract a $6-7 ‘pet fee’ on top of the standard fare.
- If you’re travelling with a service animal, you should continue to select your regular Uber trip option. Assistance animals are legally allowed to go everywhere their owner goes and by law driver-partners cannot refuse a rider because they have a service animal. Read more about our specialised program for riders with service animals here.