Logitech For Creators, an extension of Logitech dedicated to empowering creators to pursue their passions, announced the second annual Logitech Song Breaker Awards. The awards honour creators shaping pop music through dance challenges, memes and trends they have shared on social media, especially on TikTok and YouTube, over the past year.
The show premiered on Roblox on Saturday, April 30 at 3:00 a.m. AEST with three additional performances throughout the weekend. The Song Breaker Awards show is one of the many creator experiences under Logitech For Creators’ “Together We Create” global campaign, that shares its vision of collaborating with creators to shape the future of creating together.
What is the purpose of the awards?
The immersive world is designed from the pixel up as a creator-centred, fun-first experience for the community to engage and play with their favourite creators in unexpected ways. The Song Breaker Awards were hosted by digital entertainer Bretman Rock. Multi-GRAMMY® Award-winning artist Lizzo made her metaverse debut on the Song Breaker Awards stage.
“I’ve had so much fun collaborating with Logitech For Creators on the show. I’m excited for the community to join us to celebrate some talented artists together!,” said Rock.
Lizzo, who previewed her song “Special” as part of Logitech’s DEFY LOGIC campaign earlier this year, performed the track. “I’m excited to be making my metaverse debut with Logitech and to be performing ‘Special,’ which is a song that means so much to me,” said Lizzo.
“As a creator, I love that Logitech Song Breaker Awards show recognises the unique talent of all creators, and how each of them are making an impact on pop culture and music.”
Other creators who joined this year’s edition include the Peachy Princess of Roblox MeganPlays, Twitch streamer Shroud and musician and activist Jaden Smith. There was be a music performance by GAYLE, best known for her Billboard no. 1 hit “abcde-forget-u.”
What fun activities did the awards prepare for fans?
Fans also rode an epic rollercoaster, to collect Creator Coins, earn badges through gameplay to unlock special items, took a selfie XL photo with friends, hang out at the Creator Society Cafe and DEFY LOGIC Lounge, and bought merchandise like Pop Key hats, Litra Glow wings and Lizzo concert t-shirts for your avatar from the Logitech For Creators virtual store.
Proceeds from all digital merchandise sales will benefit MusiCares®, the leading music charity. Founded by the Recording Academy in 1989, MusiCares acts as a safety net supporting the health and welfare of the music community. Logitech and Bretman highlighted 10 creators.
These creators appeared on the Billboard Song Breaker Chart, a monthly music industry chart co-created with Logitech, to spotlight trendsetting creators who are driving music consumption through content creation and disrupting the traditional music business model.
Who were the winners?
Honourees include “Originators” and “Amplifiers,” popular creators who are responsible for amplifying challenges to their audiences and the community. Honourees include:
- Cost n’ Mayor – “Let’s Groove” by Earth, Wind, & Fire (Remix). Husband-and-wife Austin and Marideth Telenko also collaborated with Logitech to motion capture the choreography of all honourees, to turn them into emotes on Roblox.
- David Vu – “Get Into it (Yuh)” by Doja Cat, Originator
- Dreya Mac – “Own Brand Freestyle” by Dreya Mac; Originator
- GAYLE – “abcde-forget-u” by GAYLE; Originator. GAYLE will be receiving the Song Breaker of the Year Award. Her song has had the biggest impact on the Billboard Song Breaker Chart, appearing on the chart for three consecutive months.
- JuucyJ – “Might Be – Remix” by DJ Luke Nasty; Originator
- JVKE – “This is What Falling in Love Feels Like” by JVKE; Originator
- Noah Beck – “Dinero” by Trinidad Cardona; Amplifier
- Vano 3000 – “Running Away” by VANO 3000; Originator
- Walker Hayes – “Fancy Like” by Walker Hayes; Originator. Hayes is nominated for his first GRAMMY Award this year. During the pandemic, Hayes and his family made TikTok videos for fun, creating dances for several songs from his album. His TikTok video for “Fancy Like” has received more than 2.5 million likes, which led to the song becoming a viral hit.
- Tracy Joseph – “Love Nwantiti” by C-Kay; Originator
“We pushed the boundaries as we continue to reimagine what a creator-focused award show could look like,” said Meridith Rojas, Global Head of Talent and Entertainment, Logitech.
“In building this immersive program in the metaverse, we’re taking inspiration from the online communities blazing the path in web 3.0. It’s not a one-way conversation, it is a two-way experience bringing creators and their communities together to create,” Rojas said.
“We’re always looking for new ways to bring unique, immersive experiences to our community. Logitech hosting the first-ever music award show on Roblox is an exciting experience as we continue to push the limits of creativity on our platform and celebrate creators worldwide,” said Jon Vlassopulos, Roblox Vice President, and Global Head of Music.
View the trailer and the pre-show experience at roblox.com/songbreakerawards.