Cloudian announced a partnership with Vertica, a Micro Focus line of business, providing firms with a public cloud-like modern data warehousing solution, on-premises, for managing their AI/machine learning (AI/ML) and other analytics workloads securely behind their firewall.
What is the data warehousing landscape like today?
Vertica’s separation of compute and storage scaling of its analytical database allows clients to use Cloudian’s HyperStore native S3-compatible object storage as a single location to store all their data. Users can capitalise on HyperStore’s benefits, including exabyte-level scalability, security and cost savings of up to 70% compared to public cloud and traditional storage.
Data warehouse and data lake environments are growing rapidly, with analytics use cases such as artificial intelligence/machine learning fuelling the growth of petabyte-scale data sets.
This growth is occurring not only in public clouds but also in enterprise data centres as organisations look to run analytics apps on their local data and want to do so on-prem—rather than in public clouds—for performance, security, data sovereignty and cost reasons.
What does Cloudian bring to Vertica’s portfolio?
In contrast to traditional infrastructure solutions that cannot meet the cost, scalability and other requirements for supporting these modern applications, Cloudian’s HyperStore offers organisations an ideal data repository or lake for Vertica environments:
- Drop-in integration: Seamlessly integrate with Vertica using Vertica’s capability to use S3 as the main repository for the hybrid cloud.
- Modular, limitless elasticity: Start with three low-cost nodes and expand simply by adding devices to the cluster without disrupting analytics workloads.
- Multi-tenancy: Allow multiple users to analyse data sitting on a single, shared data lake or data warehouse—without compromising security—while also employing multi-tenant billing, metering and quality of service (QoS) controls.
- Hybrid-cloud readiness: Employ policy-based tools to replicate or tier data to AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, or to another HyperStore cluster for offsite disaster recovery, capacity expansion or data analysis in the cloud.
- Data resiliency: Get up to 14 nines of resiliency along with administrator-defined storage policies for implementing it based on replication or erasure coding.
- Ransomware protection: Through S3 Object Lock, prevent malware from encrypting data—enabling quick, easy recovery of an unencrypted backup copy without paying ransom—and meet governance and legal hold demands.
- Military-grade security: Further secure data with features such as secure shell, integrated firewall, RBAC/IAM access controls, AES-256 server-side encryption for data at rest and SSL for data in transit, as well as certification with the most stringent gov’t security needs.
What were the executives’ thoughts on the transaction?
“With enterprises looking to leverage analytics applications on-prem to gain greater insights from the data stored there, having a modern storage infrastructure is critical,” said Jeff Healey, vice president of marketing of the Vertica Product Group at Micro Focus.
“By partnering with Cloudian, we’re enabling our customers to capitalise on a leading object storage platform and maximise the value of their digital assets,” Jeff Healey further said.
“Over the past two years, Cloudian has introduced a range of new solutions to support organisations’ modern application demands,” said Jon Toor, chief marketing officer, Cloudian.
“With data gravity and data sovereignty driving the move toward hybrid cloud models, the Cloudian-Vertica solution combines the benefits of cloud-based data warehouses with the security, control and other advantages of keeping data behind the firewall,” Toor concluded.
Cloudian will be featuring the solution this week at HPE Discover 2022 (Booth #312), and more information can be accessed at cloudian.com/vertica/.