Aussie small business owners are desperately seeking e-commerce experts to help them compete online, according to the Fiverr Small Business Needs Index, with “Shopify experts” topping the list of most in-demand freelancers in Australia.
A flood of new business owners has also driven demand for business planning, providing a growing market for freelancers with C-suite and senior finance experience and high-level business qualifications.
The Fiverr Small Business Needs Index analyses data from millions of searches across the platform to predict what’s important, trending and areas small businesses are seeking support.
Turning passions into profits and starting new businesses were identified as key priorities for Australians with the Small Business Needs Index research revealing a huge demand for the specialized digital skills of ‘Shopify Experts’.
Demand for this was up 176%, indicating the rise of Australians turning to the platform for digital retail support in starting their own businesses.
Search terms for ‘Business Name’ and ‘Business Plan’ were also up 89% and 29% respectively, again supporting the notion that businesses were migrating online, or starting out online.
Recent research from Fiverr revealed 37% of Aussies considered freelancing, more than half of which (56%) were motivated by their experience of COVID-19.
One in five (20%) were interested in changing jobs to something they were more passionate about. All of which indicate the reasoning behind the rise in new Aussie businesses in 2020.
According to ASIC, 237,994 new businesses registered in Australia in 2020; 12,873 more than the year prior, despite the economic and societal challenges imposed by the pandemic.
The rise in new businesses entering the market point to the fact that Australians are interested in taking on new entrepreneurial opportunities in an effort to be self employed.
“People have become aware of the lifestyle benefits tied to being their own boss and starting their own ventures. However with this, comes the need for specialized digital support to help bring ideas to life.”
“Navigating the digital world for the first time is daunting, and new business entrepreneurs can sometimes be overwhelmed by the amount of specialized expertise they may not have” said Peggy de Lange, VP of International Expansion at Fiverr.
Globally, five key major global themes emerged which demonstrated where small businesses and entrepreneurs were looking to focus their efforts mid and post-pandemic.
The themes primarily focused on digitizing offerings, rebounding, turning passions into profit, starting businesses and tapping into new technologies to adapt to the new market.
Fiverr Small Business Needs Index: Global Insights
Creating Your Digital Storefront.
Whether it is Amazon, Shopify, or WordPress, small businesses are looking to create and optimize their digital presence.
- Globally, Amazon virtual assistant searches were up a huge 778%
- Globally, Shopify store design searches were up 302%
- Globally, Shopify sales funnel searches were up 103%
- Globally, Wix website design searches were up 102%
- Globally, WordPress theme customization searches were up 63%
Recovering & Rebounding
One year into the pandemic building back is top of mind, starting with a focus on stronger finances and higher profits. We see this particularly evident in restaurants creating their own apps to avoid high delivery app fees.
- Globally, Food delivery app searches were up 117% where restaurants were trying to save and serve their customers by building their own delivery apps.
- Globally, Crowdfunding, searches were up 115%.
- Globally, Quickbooks specific accounting searches were up 83%, with general bookkeeping up 40% and accounting up 33%
Creativity Becomes Cash
Whether they are following a passion or simply trying a new way to earn extra income, many creatives are turning their creativity into businesses. This is particularly evident in fashion.
- Globally, Teespring promotion searches were up 111%, closely followed by the similar search of ‘custom t-shirt design’ which was up by 106%
- Globally, Clothing design searches were up 56%
- Globally, Street wear searches were up 48%
- Globally, Embroidery digitizing searches were up 46%
Starting Something New
Having extra time due to Covid, lockdowns has proven itself good for entrepreneurialism and innovation. Searches for services to help with starting a business have been steadily rising.
- Globally, Business card design searches were up 106%
- Globally, Product mockup searches were up 89%
- Globally, Trademark searches were up 82%
- Globally, Market research searches were up 54%
- Globally, Brand Identity searches were up 32%
Up and Coming Technologies
Business owners are tapping into new technologies to help support their workflows and business processes.
- Globally, GetResponse (automated marketing platform) searches were up 91%
- Globally, Elementor Pro (website builder plugin) searches were up 89%
- Globally, Cash App (Square owned mobile payment service to transfer money) searches were up 83%
- Globally, Divi (customisable design framework) searches were up 50%
- Globally, Autocad (computer aided design and drafting software application) searches were up 32%